According to the RightScale 2018 State of the Cloud Report, 8 out of 10 enterprises are using more than one cloud typically combining multiple public cloud providers along with private clouds or cloud-enabled virtualized environments. The use of multiple clouds is both an intentional strategy and the inevitable result of the nature of early cloud adoption.
However, managing a multi-cloud environment can be complex, challenging, and expensive without proper planning and execution. Although more than a third of cloud users cite automated policies for governance as a top initiative for their organizations — along with optimizing cloud costs as the highest priority — very few are leveraging automation to do either.
5 Key Benefits of Automated Policies for Multi-Cloud
RightScale offers out-of-the-box and custom policies to automate governance of costs, operations, security, and compliance so that you can control cloud use by:
- Automating your governance controls with a broad set of out-of-the-box policies or by creating custom policies tailored to your needs.
- Eliminating waste with cost policies that alert on cost anomalies and take automated actions on idle and underused resources.
- Avoiding security holes with policies that identify and alert on misconfigured networking options, unsecured data storage, and non-compliant resources.
- Enforcing compliance with policies that uncover missing tags and ensure that appropriate regulations are being met.
- Ensuring operational resilience with policies that check for required configurations, such as backups or failover systems.
Use Cases for Automated Multi-Cloud Policies
RightScale’s flexible multi-cloud policy engine can be applied to solve a wide variety of use cases from cost optimization to auto-healing.
Cost Management and Optimization
If your enterprise, like many, is manually keeping track of your cloud costs rather than using automated policies, you could be missing opportunities to significantly reduce your spend. It’s critical to identify all waste and take action to optimize it. We developed a specific set of automated policies to handle both “low-hanging fruit” such as identifying idle and underutilized instances as well as complex scenarios like Reserved Instance planning to reduce wasted spend. With RightScale cost policies, you can ensure that you are running a cost–effective infrastructure:
- Identify where you are wasting spend and realize immediate savings
- Collaborate to reduce future cloud costs
- Use tagging as a foundation for ongoing cost management
- Automate waste prevention
Security is a growing concern in the the cloud. It’s very easy to spin up resources that do not comply with minimum security standards, leading to data breach and loss. This can have a huge financial impact on a business. With RightScale security policies, you can implement and enforce security requirements across cloud environments, applications, and data by finding security vulnerabilities before your customers do, including:
- Securing public storage buckets
- Taking control of your security groups
- Monitoring and securing IAM access
Enterprises typically have multiple compliance requirements but struggle to automate them, which leads to downtime as well as resource waste. RightScale compliance policies can help you automate your governance requirements by:
- Ensuring a comprehensive tagging strategy
- Enabling you to write custom policies for HIPAA, GDPR, PCI, and more
Cloud allows teams to develop and innovate rapidly. As your cloud usage increases, so does the need to make sure that your cloud infrastructure remains manageable. RightScale operational policies help you save time and maximize investment by automating everyday IT operations. Running an automated and efficient cloud infrastructure frees up expensive IT resources to deliver on growth initiatives for your enterprise. RightScale operational policies can help you:
- Reduce waste by scheduling instances to run only when needed
- Implement automatic key rotation to avoid downtime
One Multi-Cloud Policy Engine for All Your Clouds and Services
The multi-cloud policy engine at the core of RightScale gives you the flexibility to use pre-built policies as well as custom policies that can retrieve data from any API so that you can govern any cloud or service that you are using to give you the ultimate flexibility.
Powerful Policy-as-Code for Writing Your Own Policies
You can write your own policies using a simple domain-specific language (DSL) based on the same syntax used for RightScale Cloud Application Templates (CATs). A policy template lists the data sources from which to retrieve data, the validations that apply to that data, and the actions to be taken when a violation occurs or is resolved.
Using code to write your policies enables you to create a policy template that can be versioned using standard source code control versioning tools. Writing your own policy template also makes it possible to reuse and share code snippets across policies for the purposes of defining common data sources or common validations, to give just two examples.
Request a Demo of RightScale Policies for Multi-Cloud Automation
So whether you leverage out-of-the-box policies or write your own, the RightScale multi-cloud policy engine is built to provide you with complete control and extensibility so you can ensure that all your governance and cost management requirements are met via automation.