You may have read the recent blog by Nimish Singh on why it is difficult to manage software End-of-Life. Even vendors with multi-year contracts with the enterprise are not necessarily known for publishing end of life dates early and clearly enough to allow enterprises to efficiently manage their applications.
The consequences of not managing EoL software in the enterprise are too great to ignore. In the event the software becomes obsolete, it becomes a magnet for hackers always looking for vulnerabilities. Software vulnerabilities in COTS products are the biggest source of data breaches in the enterprise. Not managing end of life of enterprise applications has major implications on
- enterprise security
- cost of support
- availability of critical processes etc.
Here are just a few stats on the fallout from enterprise security getting impacted:
- Cost of a single data breach is over $3.5 million1.
- There are 85 zero-day exploits every day. Software vulnerabilities on COTS products are a key entry point for hackers2.
- Data breach at Sony cost the company $1.25 billion in lost business, compensation costs and new investments. Sony was using outdated software3.
If you want a better handle on managing End of Life applications in the enterprise, join the CTOs of BDNA and Troux, Walker White and Bill Cason on Wednesday, Sep 10 for a live webinar “Taking the guesswork out of managing End-of-Life for Enterprise Applications”. In response to the growing pains of managing EoL software, Walker and Bill will talk about how enterprises can make the process of managing EoL software easier. We have been seeing a tremendous response to this webinar already. So, if this is something that interests you, please join the experts on Wednesday, Sep 10 at 8:30am Pacific. Here’s the link once again.
- 2014 Cost of Data Breach Study: Global Analysis, Ponemon Institute, May 2014
- Symantec Research Labs http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/zero-day-world
- Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703859304576307664174667924